Hudson Street – the Connection has entered into a partnership with the City to transform the stretch of Hudson Street from Canal to West Houston streets into a grand boulevard. The redesign will strengthen neighborhood connectivity, enhance traffic safety, and accentuate Hudson Street as a place to shop, socialize and relax through the installation of design elements including sidewalk extensions, a protected bicycle lane, continuous sidewalk plantings, and custom seating amenities.
Construction is slated to begin in the fall of 2019 with work expected to be completed sometime in 2021. HSC will update this site with design and construction milestones as they become available. Please email us if you have any questions during this time.
Spring: NYC Public Design Commission approved the Preliminary Design, which incorporates suggestions from the community input process that took place summer 2017.
The design includes:
• 8k+ SF of planting areas filled with a variety of trees, shrubs, and perennials
• Application of the Hudson Square Standard using continuous tree pits and permeable pavers to maximize storm water capture and support healthier trees
• New benches providing the capacity for 160+ seats
• 2k+ SF of allowable space for future sidewalk cafes
• A dedicated and parking-protected bike lane
• 40+ additional bicycle racks
• Sidewalk realignments and new pedestrian ramps
Fall-Winter: Project team finalized the Preliminary Design for submission to the NYC Public Design Commission
Summer: HSC held stakeholder meetings to discuss existing conditions and review proposed design concepts
Spring: HSC reached agreement with NYC Economic Development Corporation and the NYC Department of Transportation to initiate the project using an innovative and streamlined Design-Build process
2016 – HSC obtained financing and prelminary approvals required to green light our redesign of Hudson Street