Spring Street Park was reopened after a renovation in the fall of 2018. The renovation was a partnership between the City of NY and the BID. The open space had remained untouched since it was built in the 1970’s. The City and the BID invested $6 Million to renovate the space and create a state of the art park for the Hudson Square Community. The BID will maintain the space, which evokes our creating spirit and printing past with its graphic design.
The summer of 2019,we partnered with Streetlab to provide weekly “draw carts” – carts that supplied art materials and drawing prompts – and gave our community an outlet to express their creativity while they enjoyed the park. While the Covid-19 pandemic has prevented us from programming the park in 2020, Spring Street Park remains open 24/7 as a place for people to safely walk, or sit and enjoy some socially distanced time outside.
Some benefits of the renovation:
- 17% more trees
- Seasonal planting
- 42 Healthy trees
- 1140% increase storm-water capture
- 445% increase in permeable surface
- 4 big-belly trash and recycle bins
- 1 water fountain
- 186% increase in fixed seating
- Custom swivel chairs, under-lit benches and seasonal movable furniture
- 630% increase in lighting
- Decorative lighting and custom moonlights, under-lit benches